View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 05:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default denial/acceptance of a TBI

I was wondering whether people had trouble actually accepting that they'd had a TBI, or at least the severity of it? Did you go through a period of denial and if so, how long did that last?

My other half had his accident nearly 5 weeks ago now (I'll post the background again sorry, I want to do a signature but am not allowed? anyway...) He passed out and hit his head, which resulted in an acute subdural hematoma, 2 skull fractures and a frontal lobe contusion. He had one week of post traumatic amnesia but luckily he didn't need surgery, and was discharged home coming up to 3 weeks ago.

The main problems he is experiencing are hearing loss (which we now know to be permanent higher frequency loss) and permanent tinnitus; fatigue; vertigo and headaches. Slight memory issues and irritability when particularly tired, but no real cognitive issues I don't think.

BUT the big thing I've noticed, is that he seems to be having trouble actually accepting he's suffered a severe TBI. He'll say things like "there's nothing wrong with me other than being deaf now" or "if I had a head injury, I'd still be in hospital." To me, it's ironic - the very fact he's saying he hasn't got a head injury indicates he's got a head injury IYKWIM? He does know what injuries he's sustained, but it's like he's in denial.

Is this common? And I'm not sure how to deal with it. I don't want to agree with him, because he HAS had a TBI, but on the other hand I don't want to argue with him either. It's exasperating and upsetting.
jamiesgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon062314 (05-28-2014), Living_Dazed (05-19-2014)