View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 12:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default GO FOR IT--Surgery SUCCESS Has Granted Me Further SUCCESS

Greetings Hurtsobad73,

Boy oh boy did I take your message to heart. I myself, just like bjholahan was suffering with Complex-Partial (glad to be Petit-Mal) Seizures. It sounds like everyone thus far that I've read who replied to your message was either born with Epilepsy, an illness may have sparked it, or just a happenstance seizure eventually turned out to be something one should really worry about. I, however, had the onset of my Epilepsy due to an unfortunate head trauma from an automobile accident back in Jan. 2000. Now 5 months TO THE DAY after the accident seizures came to be. They were very confusing @ first, even my mother a RN for 22 years was troubled by what was going on. The POUNDING headaches, dizziness, and sense of confusion as to my where-abouts was very frightening. When the taste-and smell came on though(typical of Partial Complex), getting an MD was nothing but MANDATORY. I was living in NC at the time so DUKE held the highest recommendations, but nowhere near accurate in making a diagnosis. After returning to PA, and seeing a Neurologist @ Hershey Medical Center for just over 3 years who told me she had been to some type of conference I believe it was, and once again was intrigued & very interested in the Temporal Lobectomy Sugeries to treat Epilepsy patients. To further advance my treatment and even eliminate (I know there is no cure) my Seizures, she spoke of Dr. Brian Litt @ University of Pennsylvania in Philly. My profile was sent over to Penn and within a week I was asked to come in for VEEG like bjholahan did. 1 week after the video imaging was all looked over and my Seizures were localized in the Right Temporal Lobe, the surgery was full-steam go-ahead!!! I also did the WADA test, very interesting I must say. May 4th, 2004 had to be one of the scariest days of my life. Knowing the risks of the surgery but also the success ratings I faced the emotions, and entered the operating room. Under the care of Dr. Gordon H. Baltuch and his esteemed colleagues, just 4 hours later, I was in recovery and home within 2 days. The complete surgery was a Right Temporal Lobectomy and Hippocampus (vitally important in memory) removal. I have been fine with the exception of 3 episodes ever since. The first was a Seizure triggered by an EEG that I had to evaluate the severe headaches I suffer and have suffered since the head trauma (so nothing from the surgery). The other two I'll call them "episodes" were Nocturnal Seizures, only occurring in my sleep. Only having good results, I find myself giving longer explanations to those who question the procedure I'll end this long entry. I wish you and your Father only the best in making your decision. I made mine and it changed my life. I'm back in school and driving, pursuing my degree in Physical Therapy. If I could only approach the doctors who the night of my head trauma were telling my parents, "Mam, Sir, your son won't live, if he does come out of his coma the probability of him living a normal life is extremely low, I'm very sorry"...I'd like to say, "DO YOU REMEMBER ME?"
Good Luck & GOD Bless,
Dave
Clutch8185@aol.com