View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Just some validation. We NEVER get it from the doctors. Many of us never did!
I can't say for sure, but I wonder if that may be partly their training; there are a lot of things they don't seem to acknowlege besides pain.

It may go back to something in that Dr. Rob's blog post:
Quote:
You don’t get better, and it makes many of us frustrated, and it makes some of us mad at you. We don’t want to face things we can’t fix because it shows our limits. We want the miraculous, and you deny us that chance.

And since this is the perspective you have when you see doctors, your view of them is quite different. You see us getting frustrated. You see us when we feel like giving up. When we take care of you, we have to leave behind the illusion of control, of power over disease. We get angry, feel insecure, and want to move on to a patient who we can fix, save, or impress.
http://distractible.org/?p=3912
Maybe it has to do with apprehension of being asked for (more) pain medication, and all the ethical/political baggage that goes along with that (instead of just allowing doctors to be doctors)?

I hear you, Lee, and of course I'm only guessing/speculating - trying to see it from both sides. I've had doctors like those you describe, who just see us as their 10:15 or whatever... But I have gotten comments from others indicating they believe me, and their willingness to put that in writing. And my PCP does say, "Oh... sorry." or (albeit brief) words to effect when he asks how I am and I answer candidly, so there must be a factor of individual personality involved as well. Perhaps they view it as keeping things "professional", which definition is bound to differ between them and us(?)

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-05-2012)