View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I hope you are able to talk with his primary doctor. It's tricky with the easter break coming up so hopefully you can get on to him today about your concerns.

Medications alone will not necessarily help depression. If you still suspect that he is on autism spectrum that is something that needs to be sorted out asap. The early adolescent years can be very difficult for so many reasons. (my son has AS but is now an adult but the teen years were esp. difficult). I always disputed my son had ADHD and he was never medicated for that for that reason. What I saw was that he had "attention difficulties" usually caused by other things... preoccuption and overwhelmed on a sensory level etc.. I saw it as a secondary issue.

I was reading a paper on Prof. Tony Attwood's site regarding depression and hopelessness in adolescents with AS.

Quote:
The results of this study point to strong implications for the use of positive behaviour supports for children and youth with Asperger Syndrome. Specifically, individuals with this exceptionality require comprehensive interventions that are designed to have meaningful long-term outcomes with social validity. These interventions should directly address the issues identified in this study: perceived lack of control, poor self-esteem, assumption of responsibility for negative events, an idea that no one specific reason may account for problems, and hopelessness - the feeling of being doomed for failure.
Attributional Style and Depression in Adolescents with Asperger Syndrome
G.P Barnhill and B. Smith-Myles, Journal of Positive Behaviour Interventions, Volume 3, No 3, Summer 2001, Pages 175 - 182.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (04-06-2012), barbo (04-05-2012), Doody (04-09-2012), waves (04-15-2012)