View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 02:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hi--I had the radiofrequency nerve ablation performed for right-sided RSD in my arm. My DocPain Management Anesthesiologist permormed it on an out-patient basis. For this procedure, I was under "light sedation" so that I was able to speak. The Doctor used Flouroscopy(live x-ray) to ENSURE that the needle was placed in the EXACT, precise spot. He then made three "discreet lesions" on the peripheral nerve by "burning" tiny little holes with the radio-frequency (sort of like getting micro-waved).

The pain relief was not as "immediate" as I had experienced during the Stellate Nerve Blocks, and my arm did not get that immediate warming effect. However, there WAS a definite improvement in the pain overall. For me, this procedure was done when I was going through a really stressful time, plus the weather was CO:LD COLD, Plus, because of a problem with my house, I was forced to temporarily re-locate, which INCREASED the level of physical activity/use of my arms and hands.

I am CONVINCED that the RF procedure helped decrease my symptoms CONSIDERABLY, as there was NO WAY i could have physically handled what was going on in my life at the time. I estimate that the beneficial effects lasted approximately 8-12 months (for me). During that time, I DID have a flare-up, but an axillary block got it under control .

The winter just following the RF--I was able to "get by" with axillary blocks, for the most part. I did have a Stellate Block in Jan. (almost ONE YEAR after the RF procedure-otherwise, it would have been a whole lot of STGS!!)

Eventually, the effects of the RF wore off, but it was a "gradual" process, more or less. I think the nerves were growing back... I would do it again, because it DECREASED the pain and the number of blocks that I needed over quite a while. (I WILL say, however, after the procedure, my neck was pretty sore for about a week). For ME, it was WORTH IT.

Everyone is so very different though. I have no idea what the prodedure would be like for a leg... If one DOES consider the RF, the expertise of the Doc performing it is CRITICAL. I was VERY LUCKY--my Doc is SUPERB!

I hope this info re my experience helps!

Best Wishes!

Brokenwings
Brokenwings is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote