View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

In my experience, the insurance companies use two standards for pre-existing conditions.

First, are you receiving ongoing care for the condition? Do you see a doctor on a regular basis for treatment for the health condition.

Second, are you taking an medications? They have a formulary of medications that they consider indicative of a pre-existing condition. My two medications do not rise the the level of concern for the insurance company.

I used a multi-lines company (SelectQuote). They took my basic information and used their system to find a company that did not have a problem with the meds I take and other health conditions I have.

As mentioned before, truthfully answer the questions they ask.

One condition mentioned to me by an insurance agent was, Do you drive? This is an indicator of condition to some. They may also check you driving record.

Some insurance companies consider applicants who have been routinely followed by a doctor to be a better risk that those who have not seen a doctor in years.

I have had a number of EKGs and Stress EKGs. They did not seem to impact my qualifications for insurance. I have a recurring problem with a hiatal hernia. Each time it acts up, the doctors do an EKG to rule out heart issues.

So, relax and let the insurance company decide. Remember, if you apply through a multi-lines agency, they can direct you to the company with underwriting guidelines that fit your condition.

I have had more trouble applying for health insurance since I have been taking medication for a health condition. Some health insurance companies will have a waiting period before a specific pre-existing health condition is covered. It depends on the insurance company.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (04-06-2012), Sandwalker (04-13-2012)