View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 03:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default hurtsobad73

OOPS, I posted that thread and didn't answer a few of the questions too clearly. The surgery is of risk, there is a chance of morbidity with any surgery. As far as the decrease/elimination of my Epileptic activity, like I said in my initial posting, I've since the surgery in May 2004 only had 3 epileptic events. At the initial onset of my Epilepsy, I was @ one point having 12-14 seizures A DAY on AVERAGE--so marked improvement I'd say. Now the memory question...hmm, that's one I wish I would never be asked, it is troubling for memory status to remain stable and as efficient prior to the operation. My greatest challenge(s) since the injury have been my speech dysfluency has greatly increased, since the surgery however my speech fluency has improved though. Secondary to the challenge I face with my interrupted speech patterns is my STM or short term memory. LTM isn't a problem at all really, I can still shoot out friends phone #ers I had in the 3rd grade. Now @ the age of 25, being back in school and being troubled with STM difficulties makes me work harder w/out a doubt. Because the trauma was @ such a young age I've undergone several Neuro-Psych examinations and the most recent of my results revealed that in a sense I've almost "re-wired the brain" and am now compensating for the brain's surgically removed RTL and Hippocampus and am able to "somewhat" keep pace with others because the left hemisphere is working all that much harder now. So with the so called "re-wiring" that the physicians feel I've successfully been able to accomplish, my STM is improving but will never be how it once was in the days prior to my accident. But with hard work, determination, and the continued guidance and support that are offered to me by those dearest to me improvement in successful progression. I'm sure your father will do the same if he finds himself in any scenario similar to mine. HAPPY EASTER!
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISION,
Dave
Clutch8185@aol.com