View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Dolfinwolf,

The others are right. Every brain injury is different.

You mentioned that this is your second concussion. If you put on gear and spar with your martial arts training, it is very likely that you have suffered many sub-concussive impacts. They are impacts to the head that do not cause concussion symptoms. You may have also had other concussions that were never diagnosed. Often, a concussion will not manifest any symptoms for a day or more after the impact.

I mention this because the cumulative effect of these impacts can cause a concussion to have much more prolonged effect.

So, as had been mentioned, the NeuroPsych Assessment will be a worthwhile diagnostic.

But, none of this will lead to a treatment that will speed up you recovery. Your brain needs time, rest, and quiet to recover.

Nutrition will help your brain detoxify. You should check your blood work and see if it included B-12 and folate levels. B-12 should be about 1000 pcgms/mL and folate should be greater than 20. Most B-12 tests consider 380 to be adequate. This is not the case for a compromised brain.

B-12 and folate are needed to restore your blood-brain barrier. This prevents toxins from reaching your brain.

Since you are still very early in the recovery process, proper rest and nutrition should help. April 15th return to work does not look likely. Maybe a reduced schedule will be OK.

What kind of work do you do?

I almost forgot, duh, my damaged brain working hard. LOL You ought to download the TBI Survival Guide at www.tbiguide.com and print out the 84 pages. Then, read through and highlight anything that sounds familiar. It will help you understand you symptoms and help you identify symptoms that you did not understand you even had.

Let us know how you are doing. There are lots of good people here.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dolfinwolf (04-06-2012)