View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi jp,

Well, your situation is very complicated. The concern about leaving the infected tooth in the jawbone or doing the extraction both pose similar possible complications which can be very difficult to treat. Here is an article from pub med that sites... the use of tetracycline mixed with bone replacement after the extraction which had positive results...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9553886

Another idea might be to have Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) pre and/or post op the extraction in conjunction with antiobiotic therapy. There is some controversy with doing HBOT and some oral surgeons say yes while others say no. But is would be something to discuss with whomever you consult with.

Here is a possible lead to having your question answered if you can get him to email you back...

Dr. Archie Morrison obtained his MSc in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery from Dalhousie University and then completed a fellowship in Scotland and Holland, concentrating on trauma, cancer and pre-prosthetic surgery. Dr. Morrison’s research and clinical interest areas are broad and include management of temporomandibular disorders, sleep apnea, bisphosphonate related osteonecrosis of the jaw and reconstruction of the atrophic jaws with bone grafting and implants.

Dr. Archie Morrison is an associate professor in the department of oral and maxillofacial surgery, division of surgery, faculty of dentistry, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia. ......Email: archie.morrison@dal.ca

I wish I could be of more help to you. Please don't give up searching for someone to help you... your situation is not uncommon and it can be treated or managed. I will keep searching.... please keep us posted too!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpp7928 View Post
Hi, I have just joined this forum to learn from other members expertise.
I have a broken lower left molar that cannot be extracted. It cannot be extracted due to the high dose of radiation given to cure squamous cell cancer at the base of my tongue.
My lower left jaw under the broken tooth stays infected and results in severe general debilitation.
Oral surgeons will not extract the tooth as they feel that it would not heal.
What is the best treatment to cure the infection or at least keep it under control?

jpp7928
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-07-2012)