View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Psychological Stuff

Hi everyone. So i'm new to all this psychological stuff...and today I was doing a little bit of reading to find ways to help myself overcome my problems...The ones that are psychological, anyways.

First of all, I'm having trouble deciphering what is caused by actual PCS symptoms and what is being caused by psychological things. Now, I know for a fact that my cognitive symptoms aren't ALL psychological. I've proved that to myself time and time again. But, what I have found out is that when my brain "shuts down" after a long day, stressful event or physical activity...I lay down to rest...and I can't really tell when it goes away? I think I trick myself into thinking that it's still there...even after a full days of rest. So, I stay in bed and rest some more...until I drive myself crazy!!!

But, there are times where I truly believe it's not psychological...Like today...Let me give an example, so you guys have a better understanding of what I mean...

Yesterday was a busy and stressful day. Not only did I spend an hour talking with the director of NCEP (space cadet city afterwards), I got stopped by a cop for jaywalking on a tiny street by my apartment...that has NO crosswalk ANYWHERE!!! That sent my body and mind into fight or flight mode. Afterwards, I couldn't think and I could barely move the rest of the evening...I couldn't sleep at all last night and ended up getting about 6-7 broken hours of sleep.

I made a simple schedule last night to follow for today. One that I could cross off each task...with mostly simple activities with rest in between. I had 2 sort of big things to do today...one was get my haircut and the other was drop my medical records off at NCEP. So, I figured since the barber shop was on the way to NCEP, I'd stop there first and get my haircut. I was already functioning at a low level...just confusion and trouble thinking and stuff. I sat down in the chair and had a little small talk with the barber. About 5 minutes into the conversation/haircut, my brain shuts down...my thought process just stops and I feel unaware of whats going on around me. It was like a CLICK and done...it happened in a split second. I went back home instead of going to NCEP, rested for an hour and thought I felt better...Went back out to drop the medical records off at NCEP and WHAM!!! Brain shuts down on the bus.

Ever since then, my brain has been in "off" mode...Meaning, I can barely speak...Someone asked me what happened with my brother yesterday, I was there, I know what happened but I couldn't explain it. My brain couldn't put the thought together into words...UGGGGGH, I WISH I COULD EXPLAIN IT BETTER!!!!...Anyways...I've been resting the past 2 hours, I took a nap and just stared at the ceiling. Now I'm up and trying to take part in the household but I still can't function. Brain is still in OFF mode.

So, in short, ever since the neurologist told me that most of my problems are psychological...I've kept a positive attitude, I've tried to function normally and think nothing of my cognitive symptoms, but my brain keeps SHUTTING DOWN to the point I can't function at all....Even if I don't even think about it, it just HAPPENS. I tried writing a schedule out for today...a very simple one, and even the simple tasks shut me down.

How on earth am I supposed to handle a M-F schedule at NCEP?

Psychological, or what?

What do you think?

How can you tell the difference between the two?

Well, just thought I'd drop in and say "HI"...Besides the crappy brain functioning, I've been doing alright since I got the double whammy of good news. I'll check back in with you guys tomorrow...Peace.

Nick
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote