Thread: TV: Game of Thrones
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 01:28 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Tongue

You know George R.R. Martin, wrote the screenplays for the TV show Beauty and the Beast.

His first 3 books are quite interesting and draw you into that
world easily. They are all huge long reads.

Then in book 4 something changes for him....he begins to dwell
entirely on morbid aspects. Book 5 just alienated his fans.
You should read the reviews at Amazon! It is not just me at all.

I don't know why authors with large fan bases do this. He is not unique you know. Pat Cornwell, lost her fans too over the last 5 books, with negative reviews approaching 50% ... It was so bad at one point Amazon was removing them left and right.
Elizabeth George alienated her fan base a few years ago, and the hue and cry when she killed off Helen in the Lyndley/Havers
series, resulted in her web forum for fans, being closed! Her subsequent books have not been received well either.
James Patterson alienated his fans of Alex Cross... to the extent that he put on a TV ad for the most recent book saying..."if you don't read this book of Alex Cross, I will be forced to kill him off". Imagine a TV threat to fans like this?

Well, what George R.R. Martin did is just like what is happening with some other authors. The fans are NOT HAPPY waiting over 6 years for Book 5 and getting what it contained! NOTHING at all for the series, and gruesome and boring instead!. I had a feeling about the ending of Book 4... I read that on vacation and was so angry...then. The cliff hanger is just TERRIBLE and I won't spoil it in case some do get that far reading. Book 4= A Feast for Crows ... and there are plenty of deaths for the crows to feast on in that book! It reads like a psychopathic frenzy.

I will say the photography of the TV show is very nice. It is just how I pictured it from reading. But I wonder what will become of it once the characters are all killed off--- about 90% of all the characters meet with terrible ends. What started off as adult fantasy, becomes excessively violent and out of control.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote