View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 02:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Gaining weight rapidly since being on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablette View Post
I've gained weight on it. The pharmacist said it was really common to have some weight gain on this drug, it's the first thing she said. It has helped with pain a good bit, so it has been worth it to me. I'm going to try to diet and see if I can also lose weight on it also, but it's gonna be a challenge.
I've also gained about 30 lbs since being on it. I suffered spiral fractures in the tibia and fibula in one leg which resulted in permanent nerve damage about 16 mos ago. My ortho prescribed gabapentin a few weeks after surgery because the stinging and burning were intolerable even with strong narcotics. I could not even stand to have my foot touch a sheet or pillow.

The Gabapentin is the only thing that has helped with the nerve pain - I have tried weaning myself off of it but without it the pain is just too much.

I knew I was gaining weight, no real changes in diet and only slightly decerased activity, but hadn't actually weighed myself in about a year ... the battery in my scale was dead (those aren't the easiest type of batteries to find around here- I live in an extremely rural area) and I just had put off buying another.

Needless to say I weighed myself today and was SHOCKED to see how much I've put on. I am also retaining alot of water, hands, feet and face swell often.

I am going to force myself to drink lots of water and start exercising daily, watch my salt intake, and I have also heard that green tea helps to reduce water retention. Now I'm afraid that even if I do all this I will have trouble losing the weight because I simply can't go w/out the Gaba. Pain in my ankle and foot are too bad w/out it.
VickiM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote