View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 03:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Recovering alcoholic with possible nerve damage

I was a binge drinker for many years. I had my first drink when I was 11. I drank off and on ever since, but never really developed a serious problem with alcohol 'til 2007. At that point in my life I was drinking heavily every weekend--to the point of passing out. I drank everything; beer, wine, hard liquor. But mostly vodka. I had periods of sobriety as I tried to stop drinking but I would always relapse. It wasn't until last year that I finally kicked the addiction. Now, I have about 6 months of sobriety and feel very proud. I am realizing now though that all those years of drinking may have possibly given me some neurological damage. For a couple of years I have had tingling in my arms and legs, sometimes they will fall asleep and I will have to wiggle my fingers or toes to "wake" my limbs up. I can walk fine and experience most of these issues at night. Second, I have some heart damage most likely caused by alcohol, this includes two leaky valves--the Tricuspid and Mitral. The leaks are minor and my cardiologist is not too concerned with them. I am also dealing with a bladder problem. I cannot fully empty it and feel as though the sensation to go is just not as strong as it once was. I know when I need to urinate though and I don't have any accidents or leaks. I have been to several doctors, have had blood work to check for diabetes, infection, std's & my thyroid (all negative/normal). I have had ultrasounds done on my pelvic area & a full kidney and bladder scan. But still don't have a diagnosis. Doctors seem baffled. I suspect a neurological issue. I have always taken a multivitamin but I am still worried that perhaps I need more. I read in other postings about some of the supplements you all suggest but I want to see if anyone thinks I need something in particular for my case. Please help if you can, I am becoming very depressed not knowing what to do or where to turn.