View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I have followed lots of research, almost all of it funded by the government. The millions of dollars spend by the VA and NIH over the past ten years have done very little to improve care or even recognition of the vast range of symptoms of TBI.

There have been good studies done that have been rejected because they did not support specific powerful industries and their financial goals. The quality of much of the research is very poor. Research is a cash cow for researchers, not a system for moving forward with patient oriented improvements.

CBT has been around under that specific label since the 1960's. The concept has been used since the early 1900's. The research parameters used are often severely limiting the scope of the research. This leaves room for follow-up research to fill some of the holes.

Even the NIH operates with an policy of support the researcher rather than the patients. Those paid to do the research retain copyright for years before the taxpayers have access to the research paid for with taxpayer dollars. At least now there come a time when the taxpayer finally has access to the research. It was only a few years ago that Congress finally claimed eventual taxpayer ownership or access to federally funded research.

There have been attempts by a few in Congress for years to get these issues before the public but the insurance companies and trial lawyers fought it tooth and nail. If it was not for a few high profile NFL lawsuits, we would still be in the dark ages, even though thousands of studies have been done. The valid research goes back to the 1970's.

I don't care whether it is Obamacare, Romneycare, RonPaulcare or Santorumcare, when the gatekeeper is a bureaucracy, the patient will always be last in line to receive benefits. I have lived with managed care that uses statistics to decide what treatment gets offered. When they do approve the treatment, they get stuck using only a preset protocol that severely limits the effectiveness.

I wish I could be as excited about the possibility of this research helping the injured.

btw, We have a local entity that has been researching the needs of the mTBI/TBI community here in Idaho since 2002. They have received 3.7 million dollars, that $3,700,000 and so far no injured have been helped. They have less than 50 people registered in their database. The researchers travel the country attending symposiums and hiring lecturers to lecture to very small crowds. Very few of these lecturers even allow their lecture outlines to be published claiming copyright privileges. The only noticeable benefit is some post-grad students have had their studies funded.

Maybe my experience has left me jaded or maybe just more realistic.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote