View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 06:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laur3d View Post
LadyLaura- did you request the second surgery or was this just the planning by surgeon?

Thanks again- it really helps to hear from others going through the same thing.
Hi there,

The surgeon is very clear on his intentions and procedures. In cases where patients present with bilateral symptoms, the surgeon "offers" the first operation to the patient. Therefore, he deems that your symptoms present in a way that surgery could be helpful after all other options are exhausted. For my left side, he "offered" surgery, and after careful thought, I believe(d) it would be the best thing for me, all things considered. After the first side has healed, the surgeon is pleased with progress, etc, and he believes the remaining side could also benefit from surgery (again, other treatment options already tried), the surgeon will go ahead with the surgery at the patient's will. Of course, any surgery is at the will of the patient, but in the case of my right side, I didn't have to wait for him to "offer" me surgery. He told me I was a candidate, I have seen improvements from my left side, and I asked him when he could book me into surgery.

So long story short, in answer to your question, I requested the surgery for the remaining side, but it was only after the surgeon deemed that I was a candidate.

I hope that makes sense! Good luck to all.
ladylaura418 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote