View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 07:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Heart

Socks made for people w/diabetes: department stores and mobility stores are great places to find these. They have a cushioned sole, loose leg that manages to stay up. (I also cut the top trim off cuter socks and that does the trick). And I always carry 2-4 extra pairs of socks, changing them whenever my foot pain increases. The fresh dryness helps.

Converse shoes: the regular canvas ones (low or high tops). These don't arch in the ball, have enough rubber cushion to manage city living, and the lace-up canvas upper means they're adjustable, made with sweat-free fabric. The high tops are actually most comfy because they result in no pressure applied around ankle (they don't need to be secured tightly). Warning: I've bought the knock-offs and they don't have the cushion that real Chucks do. But, most stores that specialize in board shoes have great sale racks: I got my favourite pair for 38 bucks two years ago and they are still in great shape. Once in awhile they also release faux fur lined editions: I'm waiting impatiently for those to return.

I wear skirts and tights almost every day and the only 'dress shoes' I own are uber-cheap mary janes from China, much like the Chinese shoes of my childhood, but with a thicker rubber base/heel: actually wonderful for CRPS feet and so I am using them sparingly until I find a local supplier. But most of the time I wear my Converse w/skirts, or cozy boots in winter. The tights mean absolutely zero friction from pants brushing and my skirts are pretty short. This uniform has helped me tremendously, and it's cute too so I feel a little more 'in the world'.

My spinal cord stimulator. For all the horror stories there are success stories too. Otherwise they wouldn't spend a fortune dropping them into people. If you get the opportunity, try it. I'd give up everything in my life, and everyone for that matter, before I'd surrender my SCS.

My cat. Having a silky soft animal that doesn't require walking, doesn't jump up on your legs, doesn't need to be picked up, is soothing beyond description. Get yourself to your local shelter and adopt a big boy (adult males are most easygoing/least demanding)

Last edited by whereisfunkytown; 04-08-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: forgot something
whereisfunkytown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote