View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
For nearly 20 years, it has been commonly believed that "Pre-Diabetes" could be a cause of Small Fiber Neuropathy. That belief has now been definatively proven wrong, as stated in the following very important study published in "Medical News Today"!
Comments?
In the words of old-time radio druggist Mr. Peavey (played by Richard LeGrand), "Well, now, I wouldn't say that!"

It may be a matter of interpretation, but I wouldn't/don't equate the phrases, "May Not Be", "at least not to the high frequency previously reported," and "not more prevalent in prediabetics than in healthy people" (the actual phrases used in the article) with "[definitively] proven wrong" (above). It doesn't say "Pre-Diabetes" couldn't be a cause of Small Fiber Neuropathy.

Does anyone know if this study has undergone peer review (yet)?

I also don't see it making a huge difference clinically (or I'm missing something, which wouldn't be the first/last time! ) Many of us, whether (pre)diabetic or not, still feel/notice the effect sugar has on our symptoms. Speaking for myself, I'm not going to change anything I'm doing based on this study. The way studies sometimes go, another one may come out next week/month/year contradicting this one.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
glenntaj (04-09-2012), Idiopathic PN (04-09-2012), mrsD (04-09-2012)