View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi,

You may have what is called an aphthous ulcer or canker sore. These generally develop in the mouth and various other places from some sort of trauma or irritation. Oral surgery or hitting the area with your toothbrush or hard food could cause the ulcer to occur. You can do a google search to see what they look like and compare the photos to what you have. Or you could be developing an infection and the white area could be what is called a fistula. This is similar to a pimple and it appears to be on the surface but it is much deeper than just on the gum. Either way, it is important for your dentist to make the proper diagnosis.

Rinsing with warm salt water is best until you can see your dentist. Only use a pinch of salt and rinse 3-4 times a day. Avoid using any mouthwash, especially any that contains alcohol or harsh chemicals because this will just cause further irritation. Keep the area clean and continue to brush all of your teeth as usual to keep down the level of bacteria.

Please let us know how you're doing...

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewarethegeek View Post
Hi all,

About 3 weeks ago I had a completely erupted upper wisdom tooth extracted. It was a reasonably straight forward extraction other than a root snapping, which the dentist retrieved. I was sent on my way and told that antibiotics wouldn't be necessary and to rinse for 7 days with salt water, which I did.

Now, everything has seemed fine since then aside from some tenderness around the site which I figured was normal. I've been eating fine, no pain unless I actually poke, etc.

On Saturday I noticed that the gum surrounding tooth in front of the removed wisdom tooth had begun to swell. Since its a public holiday because of Easter I cannot get to my dentist until tues at the earliest if they can even see me so I began to rinse regularly again with salt water. This morning, while the big swelling is still there, it now seems to have a white head on it, like a giant pimple. It is not painful unless I poke it, aside from a very mild stinging in the soft tissue, and I feel physically well. Previous dental xrays from october show no problems with any of my other teeth and the dentist mentioned nothing on seeing the opg that i got for the wisdom tooth extraction itself.

However I am very concerned. What is this? Why has it occurred? Is salt water the best course of action until I can see a dentist?
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote