View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 04:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi there -- For some reason I didn't see this message until just now, many months after you posted it. I wanted to thank you for posting.

It's now been over a year since my daughter's concussion. There have been a lot of ups and downs, but she is steadily improving. On the cognitive front, she still has some lingering memory and attention deficits, but I have faith that those things will continue to improve. Behaviorally, she is improving too, though there have been ups and downs. (The behavioral stuff was much, much more stressful to me than the cognitive issues -- for a while, it really seemed like she wasn't the same child anymore, and that was heartbreaking.) She still seems different -- less thoughtful, a little hyper, etc. -- but I see signs of her old self coming back.

I guess my daughter's concussion wasn't as severe as your son's, because she didn't receive any of the kind of care you're describing. (She did receive a neuropsych evaluation, and has been seeing a behavior therapist, but that was all because I'm kind of insane and really pushed for it.) I actually wish I could have had her in a helmet for the past year, because she has had some more (minor) bumps to the head since then, just from normal kid activities. And with each bump, her symptoms seemed to flare up again (as you mentioned with your son).

It is a little nerve-wracking -- I don't want to be the kind of parent that views everything as dangerous, but seriously so many things seem like potential causes of head injuries to me now. And it worries me, because I wonder what kind of new damage is occurring each time. But she generally seems to be improving.

Anyway, I am really, really grateful for your post. It's one of the most reassuring things that I've read in all this time, because it really seems that you guys went through a lot of what we're dealing with, and that your son has turned out great. You have no idea how much I appreciate it, and all the information you provided. I do have a few more random questions that I'd love to ask if you have time, and if you ever check back here. But what I really want to say is thank you, and I hope your son continues to do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyl3 View Post
Lillia- my then 5 year old son had a TBI with concussion. He had a very long recovery. The symptoms you describe with your daughter are exactly what we saw with our son. He was very emotional and often became giddy, out-of -control with laughter and running around. He was seen by our concussion clinic and under their care for more than 2 years. During that time, his symptoms slowly improved but recurred with any bump to the head. He wore a protected helmet and had to go to school with an aid so he would not get bumped or hit his head-no running, jumping etc... until symptoms were completely gone. It's hard to keep a boy down! The concussion clinic recommended that he could not hit his head at all at the risk of dying from second concussion while the first is not healed. Now, no concussion-prone activities for the rest of his life-quite a struggle to way the risk of activities and say no to soccer and basketball.
He is now 10, doing great and tested fine last year for any cognitive, executive function, etc...He does seem unorganized, has difficulty attending at times but more typical "boy" than clinical. A few strategies between home and school was all it took to get him on the ball.
However, watch her growth. My son's growth slowed tremendously following the head injury. At age 9, he was finally tested and diagnosed with pituitary disfunction-the head injury damaged his pituitary gland-he does not produce enough growth hormone or melatonin. We now give him shots every night and melatonin.
Lillia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote