View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 03:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Yes, it is possible to have gluten intolerance but not be genetically Celiac. The reverse is less likely and IMO not possible. Gluten intolerance is when the gluten peptide escapes into the blood stream from leaky gut and then causes reactions at various tissue sites and damage. There was a study done in 1999 showing damage from NSAIDs to the GI mucosa in the intestines may allow peptides to cross when they normally would not. Hence gluten intolerance may be ACQUIRED and be from various drug uses.

At the Gluten File site are papers about gluten and PN:
http://sites.google.com/site/jccglut...eralneuropathy
The Gluten file is also at Facebook with discussions.

2) yes possible. But you may not feel some other effects yet, if your case is mild. Some gluten effects are subtle. Brain fog,
fatigue, thyroid disease, etc.

I'd recommend you read The Gluten File. It is a great resource and very complete with explanations.

As I understand it, the "scope" looking for villi damage does not always reveal it, even in Celiacs. Glenntaj here knows all the tests, and will hopefully come on here with details.
MrsD, thank you. Its so nice "seeing" you on Celiac forum.
You know Mrs.D, I blame Gabapentin for always feeling tired, difficulty concentrating and oftentimes anxious. The more I read the Gluten File, the more I wonder if I am gluten intolerant. It is difficult though to put finger to one culprit because I also h ave thyroid problem. I heard abouot gluten intolerant but I have never really given so much attention to it because I never feel the more common abdominal problem.

Can colonoscopy detects the villi damage? The reason I ask is because I had colonoscopy last May 2011 and there was no mention about it.

I will have my test for celiac this week. I will post the result here for comments.

Thank you.

Mary
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote