View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 05:57 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My visit with Dr. Justin Brown

Let me start with the fact that Dr. Brown is the second surgeon I have seen. I liked him. I found him very informative, knowledgeable and likeable. His office was very punctual, I waited less than ten minutes to be taken into the room and once in waited maybe 5 minutes for the PA to come in and take my history. I had a ton of information to give which is sometimes hard because I find myself forgetting some detail and found the PA getting lost in the details. Once my history was done Dr. Brown came in and the PA and I filled him in with all the pertinent information. Dr. Brown did his exam and diagnosed me with TOS. He recommended surgery because PT wasn't successful along with all the other steps I have been through. He will do a scalenectomy and he thoroughly explained to me with pictures what he will do, how he will do it, and what the outcome will be. He also told me the dangers of surgery, which scared the hell out of me, but if this will make me close to normal again I am all for it. This seems to be a very routine surgery for him. I also watched his hands the entire visit and they are very steady. Another thing was his poor opinion of Dr. Filler. And I quote "it is amazing how Dr. Filler sees things nobody else can see."

What I did not like:
I felt a bit rushed, but am unsure if it was from being overwhelmed by all the information. Also, that after giving my history, him never seeing me before, he jumped straight to surgery. Also, I feel like he didn't really look at the neurography films I brought him. He stated he didn't see anything completely obvious, but that is usually the case with TOS. He kept my disk and said he was going to have his radiologist look at it with him.

Overall, I feel there will never be a perfect surgeon, that I will find a fault somewhere with everyone. My insurance covers him so he has to be the guy... Dr. Brown has a great reputation and his staff speaks very highly of him. I have researched him and have found very minimal reviews about him, but they were all good. My theory on that is...more often than not it is the unhappy who write reviews to complain. I will be doing the surgery the first week of June....

I know this is kind of all over the place, my apologies, I am still processing all the info and the experience.
supersickchik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
chroma (04-16-2012), nospam (04-11-2012)