View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 07:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Occupational Therapy appointments

I just woke from a 4 hour nap following my OT appointment today. I was exhausted within 10 minutes of being there.

First, we live in a very rural area. The local towns have populations of 700. The local "big town" is 4000. I rarely see other people and have been staying at home mostly for the past 2 months. It doesn't take much to overwhelm me right now.

I have my pill box and am to keep a pain journal. This will help me become independent. I also have a daily planner, which she showed me how to use. I will start using and then post a picture somewhere so that you can see how it is is to be used.

I don't remember everything that was said/talked about, but my wife took notes and I can remember the generals.

It was decided today that I was too tired to try the light board. I will do that next week.

Today she tested my eyes and determined that I have some sight damage -- either muscular or brain connections with my left eye or something.... I don't remember (again only the generals). The periphery sight is fine, but in some spaces it becomes fuzzier. Now I am to wear an eye patch and we will take glasses and cover part of the left eye frame. We hope that may help with some dizziness. She is also recommending PT -- to see if the ear crystals are out of place.

I had to copy 2 pictures, which was not a problem (expect that as a former artist, I was greatly frustrated with my ability. She thought it was fine). I also had a circle in front of me and had to draw a clock face. This was difficult. I started with the 1 at the top and knew that the 3 was on the right and 6 on the bottom. I needed help to figure out that the 12 was on the top. And then I could draw the line to a 3, but couldn't figure out where a 40 was. I also struggled with understanding how it could also be --- to 4. I was in tears. I knew that I knew this stuff -- it felt wrong, but I couldn't figure out how to make it right. My head is ringing just thinking about it.

The other thing I had to do was sort a deck of cards. (this is also homework). She had me split into suits. This was also hard for me. I would have a 5 of hearts in my hand and not know if I put it with a number 5 or with a heart or with another red (that had a 5 on it). It was confusing and frustrating. When she had me split into colors of red and black, it was easy.

That was all that we had time for. I was entirely exhausted and slept for 4 hours when we returned home.

On Monday I start with speech therapy for an hour, have a break and then do OT.

wife and mother of 5 (18, 13, 11, 7, 5)
was: design professor, farmer, and had been studying masters in herbalism and doctorate of naturopathy before accident. now: practicing patience.

What happened: Feb 5 2012 passenger in a single MVA which flipped over end and then rolled 3-4 times. Dx with moderate concussion and released. Dx with PCS a few weeks later

Dealing with: temple to temple headaches, nausea, tinnitus, extreme noise sensitivity, light sensitivity, vertigo, short term memory issues, concentration, become overwhelmed easily, word-finding, stuttering, confusion, sleep issues (falling/staying asleep), fatigue +++

Prescribed: Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Physical Therapy, and rest!!!

Last edited by emme727; 04-11-2012 at 08:33 PM.
emme727 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (04-12-2012), Soccergal (04-12-2012), SpaceCadet (04-11-2012)