Thread: Really???
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

If you go into the PCS literature you will soon find that almost anything you can think of will be a disposing factor in developing PCS. Let me give you an example:

Disposing factors:

-Being female

-Being younger than 15 or older than 40

-Prior concussion injury

-Having prior or current alcohol/substance abuse

-Having low socio economic status

-Being of lower than average intelligence

-Ongoing litigation

-Having received the concussion in traumatic circumstances (car accident/assault)

-Prior history of depression or other psychiatric illness

-Having social problems in family, school, work.

Most people fulfill one or more of these points and they are now in the "danger zone" and they can be labeled "psychogenic" or whatever.

Another thing that bothered me about the article was facts that I could not make fit with the literature that I have read on the subject. In his citing 29 for example it says:

"In some studies of patients with PCS, premorbid depression is quite prevalent, as high as 46 percent. [29]"

Well, I looked at the study and it had only 15 patients, hardly statistically significant or representative.

It gets worse...The study was not even done on patients suffering from PCS, it was done on patients having a major depressive episode after having received a concussion and the inclusion criteria was not to have PCS but a major depressive episode.

And now the author claims that premorbid depression in PCS patients are as high as 46%! This guy is actually raping science...

Oh and btw, this was the first and only reference i checked out...This guy is exactly the reason why we have to struggle so hard to get the medical community to take us seriously.

-GlassHead

Last edited by GlassHead; 04-11-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
GlassHead is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Soccergal (04-11-2012), Theta Z (04-13-2012)