Thread: Overwhelmed!
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

You are getting the warning signs. You just are not paying attention. They are usually very subtle. If you wait for them to shout at you, you have waited too long.

When you realized the teacher was talking too fast, that was a sign to exit the environment immediately.

It is likely that many of the others have more focal injuries that resulted in coma. You may have had a focal oriented bleed but you entire brain was concussed.

There is a big difference in the over-stimulation issues with PCS compared to a focal injury with coma. The focal injury with coma are in need of waking up pathways that were dormant during the coma.

You have pathways that were damaged and need a slower route to recover.

If you find a place to get away from the sounds and other over-stimulation, you can make NCEP work.

Now, you know to avoid the classes with too many voices and the fast talking teacher. There will be other environments you will need to avoid.

Do you take your foam ear plugs with you? It may help to try wearing them during any classes with lots of sound. Some rooms may have an echo problem. The ear plugs will help. You will be surprised how well you can hear in a classroom while wearing your ear plugs. They will also be a sign to the staff that you are struggling with sound.

There are plenty of skills you can rebuild before needing to train without the ear plugs.

I have never been able to completely recover a tolerance for sounds. So.. I have to use my ear plugs frequently. I use them as a preventative measure sometimes. If I become aware of the sounds, I know to put them in just in case.

Anytime you start noticing or focusing in on a specific stimuli, a sound, light, or voices, it is a sign that your brain has started to be over-stimulated.

In most situations, you should not look for this stimulation. If you enter a room where you have a history of over-stimming, and the same environment exists, turn around or do something to mitigate the stimulation. In the others, just wait to respond to the sense that your brain has started to key in a stimulation, then take proper measures.

I hope this makes sense. You will need to work hard at not obsessing on any little detail. Learning to not get stuck in a minor obsession will be important. If you have a moment of confusion, try to ignore it and go on. If it repeats, it is time to do something.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
emme727 (04-13-2012), EsthersDoll (04-13-2012), GlassHead (04-12-2012), HeadStrong (04-13-2012), Soccergal (04-12-2012), SpaceCadet (04-12-2012)