View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 11:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New here and overwhelmed

Hi All

Just found this forum and just skimming it I feel better in some ways, but still very concerned. A couple of other forums were so full of heartbreak (and very old posts - not much activity) I just wanted to shoot myself. I see some hope here.

At 57 I ignored initial signs of PN several years ago, and signs of type 2 diabetes. I thought I would have many years to deal with this but that has changed. In just the past 6 months my PN symptoms have gone from tolerable to distracting - and painful burning feet. My feet either seem to be too hot or too cold. I have lost 25lbs and worked with my PCP to get new meds this week and along with diet and exercise I just recorded my first blood sugars under 100. Still much much much to learn about my diet and diabetes.

My feet seem a bit better (today) but I know every day is a crap-shoot. I am taking some benoftiamine daily which seems to help. I have many questions about the other supplements such as Lipoic acid - L-Carnitine.

I am scheduled to see a neurologist in 3 weeks (seems like 3 months) and have no idea what he is like. One question I have is should I start a supplement program now or try to wait ? I hope to have a positive relationship with this guy, but I see (and have seen) a lot of comments that mainstream docs may not be helpful.

Thanks for any comments and help.
BluesBoy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote