View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 07:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
Hi Spine,

There must have been an article or study in a medical journal around that time, because I had 2 neuros and one other doctor try to ram that one down my throat all within a year. It's like it was the fad of the month or something.

I've experienced rebound pain - several times - so I know the phenomenon is real - unquestionably - but I've never had any problem distinguishing it from chronic pain (CP) - it feels different. When I told that to the last guy, he dismissed (disbelieved) me and asked, "How do you know it's not rebound?" My response was, "How do you know it is?" When I related this to my PCP, he got a real chuckle (and agreed with me).

I can't speak for other patients; I don't know how common or uncommon it is for CP patients to be able to distinguish the difference between CP and rebound pain (and I'm not aware of any statistics or studies about this) but I sincerely doubt I'm the only one. IME, the two types of pain are so different that it's difficult for me to imagine that others cannot tell the difference, but I'm not so arrogant (like some doctors) as to dismiss/disbelieve someone who says they cannot differentiate.

Out of curiosity, can you tell the difference?

Doc
I experienced two completely different sensations between rebound and chronic pain. While I have numerous pain producing conditions, the worst is the never ending sciatica. It doesn't respond to conventional treatments anymore. Nerve pain is just that and feels different from rebound. I agreed to go off the pain meds as an act of desperation.....the way one might agree to a surgery that their "gut" tells them is a bad choice. This took place about ten years ago and it was deffinately a trend around here. Most of the neuropsychiatrists were doing their best to talk their pain patients, who had been referred by their pain docs, into discontinuing their sched. IIs as they felt the sched. IIs caused rebound pain. They had far more training in addiction than chronic pain and felt that most of us had been turned into addicts. They were on a mission!!!! Have a great day.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote