View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 12:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Bryanna,
I am a new member,so please excuse (and don't hesitate to educate) any error in protocol. This post has helped me very much. Thank you. I entered a post yesterday about my dental situation. Can you respond to it? I don't know how to direct you to it, except to say my user name is John Steven and yesterday's is my first and only post, excepting this reply.
Thank you,
John Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi mousch,

First of all, bone graft material will not integrate in an area of jaw bone that is infected. That is one reason why your grafts have failed. In a case such as yours, before a bone graft procedure can be done....... the tooth needs to be removed and the bone needs to be debrided, antibiotics are given and the surgical site is left alone for several weeks to months depending on the degree of infection. The surgical site is monitored with periodic xrays to determine when the infection is gone. Once that is determined, then the area is surgically exposed and a bone graft is placed.

Anytime a bone graft is placed in the jawbone before the infection is gone, the area will become overwhelmed with bacteria and the graft will fall out. Irrelevant of what is used to cover the surgical site, the graft will fail. It sounds like that may be what's happening to you.

Sorry I didn't get to post this earlier.... what did the dentist say at your appt on thursday?

Bryanna
John Steven is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote