View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 02:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsureyet View Post
Hi all,

I recently saw a neurologist because I've been having pains around the back of my head. Lately they've been occuring more on the right side than the left, but I've had them numerous places and of all durations. I also feel a sensativity on the top of my head as well that is uncomfortable.

My question is whether or not those diagnosed with Occipital Neuralgia all have pain that radiates from the base of the neck spreading upward. For me the pains just come out of the blue, hurt for a little while, and then go away.

All of the bad stuff has been ruled out with an MRI so my doctor doesn't know what's wrong. This is his best guess and I'm supposed to get a shot to see if that helps.

Can anyone who has been diagnosed by a doctor with Occipital Neuralgia please let me know what their symptoms are like?

Thanks!
My Occipital Neuralgia (ON) pain starts at the back of my head and shoots toward the top of the head, along the trajectory of the greater occipital nerve (on which I have had surgeries to remove neuromas.)

Most ON sufferers have pain just on one side of the head (unilateral,) but some experience pain on both sides (bilateral.) Nerve blocks may help, and are useful in diagnosing ON, but they usually offer just temporary relief (hours to days.) Still, some people get weeks to months of relief from these shots, and they are generally very low risk, so it is usually worth the time and effort to try them.

Best of luck!
JVerive is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote