View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
I sometimes think that stroke talk is a old wives tale that get passed around.
I'd never heard of it until now so I googled: chiropractic stroke

There's a LOT there, including two awareness groups, several pages of scholarly studies, a lawfirm that specializes specifically in chiropractic stroke cases, videos, and articles by/from some very reputable sources, all of which suggest to me that the risk is very real, and more than very very low.

From what I did read briefly, it's not any one or group of particular manipulations, or fast vs. slow. It can happen a lot of ways, including Upper Cervical Adjustment. BTW - NUUCA is not a type or technique of adjustment - it is an association of chiropractors.
http://www.nucca.org/

Perhaps the most poignant item I read was this:
Quote:
From a former chiropractor:

I have been doing a vascular surgery rotation for the past month, which is part of my postgraduate medical education. During my chiropractic training, when the subject of manipulation-induced stroke was brought up, we were reassured that "millions of chiropractic adjustments are made each year and only a few incidents of stroke have been reported following neck manipulation." I recently found that two of the patients on my vascular service that suffered a cerebrovascular accident (stroke) had undergone neck manipulation by a chiropractor, one the day that symptoms had begun and the other four days afterward. If indeed the incidence of stroke is rare, one M.D. would see a case of manipulation-induced CVA about every 10 years. But I believe I have seen two in the past month! I therefore urge my medical colleagues to question their patients regarding recent visits to a chiropractor/neck manipulation when confronted with patients that present with the neurologic symptoms of stroke. I also urge potential chiropractic patients to not allow their necks to be manipulated in any way. The risk-to-benefit ratio is much too high to warrant such a procedure.
—Rob Alexander, M.D.
http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...irostroke.html
I would encourage anyone to google: chiropractic stroke, read what's there, and come to their own conclusions.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitt (04-13-2012)