View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Politics Not disagreeing at all - just playing "pundit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
You don't get training in school in how to read your own body. Often you don't get other training you might need too, like parenting a new baby, how to find a job, how to be a supportive spouse.
Amen. ...And that's the short list. When I started high school, there was a course taught in senior year called, "Civics" which in addition to the theoretical and practical aspects of citizenship, also dabbled in ethics, philosophy, civil & Constitutional rights, and political (governmental) theory. By my junior year, the course had been dropped from the curriculum, ostensibly for budgetary reasons. Needless to say I was both disappointed and outraged; it was one course in school I was actually looking forward to as containing real-life practical knowledge. Basic economics (as opposed to "home economics") was another class/course dropped from the curriculum and lost forever. I had one particular teacher in another subject who was called on the carpet (and ultimately dismissed) for teaching practical life skills (like decision-making, respect for women, & critical thinking, for crying outloud) beyond the scope of the syllabus. I learned more practical and valuable lessons about life and living from that guy than from all my other teachers combined. IMO, he deserved an award. I could go on....

Quote:
In history some disease was at times looked at as a punishment from God.
Like... Oh, I don't know... AIDS?

Quote:
If you read any medical history books you'll see examples of the evolution of "medicine" and that attitudes are still taught to students in medical school. They are for now our "modern" attitudes, but say in 50 yrs we'll look back on today and roll our eyes, and say "I can't believe they did that back then"!
Like Arizona just passing a law defining life begins two weeks BEFORE pregnancy...

I have a few 19th century medical & veterinary books. They used to be great fun to read aloud at parties after people had loosened up a bit... We even made a board/parlor game out of it.
A couple of examples that stuck in my mind:
Treatment for lead poisoning - mercury
Treatment for mercury poisoning - lead

Quote:
Many neurologists don't really put forth effort for sensory PNs.
They figure if you can walk and talk normally, you are lucky.
They cannot feel YOUR discomfort or measure it, and therefore it is not real to THEM.
I don't blame the doctors entirely; I think many feel as helpless as their patients in not being able to help/do more, and professional stoicism prevents many from expressing empathy. (Witness: Dr. Rob's blog entry) I also believe their tried & true system, which held up for over a century, and which they fiercely defend, is due for review & overhaul. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But it's running like a Model T on 2 cylinders, and they won't even take it to a mechanic [Lean 6σ, etc.] to see if anything can be done.) Rather than seeing any concerted effort there, I see more of an evolution, which is of course slower, and takes much longer than anyone would like. Changing the attitudes of an entire culture is known to take at least a generation. Given the conservative nature of the medical citadel, it may take even longer.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
glenntaj (04-15-2012), mrsD (04-14-2012)