Thread: sympathectomy?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 11:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Sympathectomy

Hi there, I am brand new to this site too. I have had RSD for 15 years this September. In my case the RSD started in my left calf and over a couple of years went to both legs & both arms.

I had sympathectomy done on both legs about 8 years ago. This was after dozens of nerve blocks and implanting SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR one for legs & one for arms. In my case the RSD was so strong that despite cutting and gapping the nerve the RSD returned to my legs. The only good result is that it moved down off the hips down to the thighs.

My advice 1st thing is get 2nd opinion first. I have a mixed feeling about whether doing such a major surgery is called for if you have only had RSD for 2 years. You might look into less invasive treatment such as nerve blocks even spinal cord stimulator. (they can implant temp wires to see if it will work for you first) Even the use of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. (You can find info at rsdhope.org - look under treatments) This is something I have wanted to do, but can't get it approved by my Workman's Comp. Now on the other hand maybe going big is the play that would work for you. If you hit these nerves before the RSD gets so ingrained that like me it can bypass the nerve being cut.

I do really think long before getting a sympathectomy I would try other treatments first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus777 View Post
Hi everybody,
I am new to the boards. I was wondering if anybody knows anything about sympathectomy surgey. I had been suffering from thoracic outlet syndrome with brachial plexus injury for 15 years. I have been diagnosed with RSD for the past two years. I had tried a SCS, nerve blocks, pt, ot and now my pm dr says I should consider sympathectomy surgery. Has anyone had this surgery or have information about it? Or any other ideas. I am about to lose my mind . I am a teacher, but i haven' t been working much lately. The pain makes me vomit. I take meds but they don't help much. I feel useless. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Lupus
Texans #1 Fan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote