View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 02:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I love Nancy Drew

Laura - I didn't see your post until after I posted mine.

I think Michael J Fox is our Atticus Finch; I think MJFF operates in the world as you want them to. They have challenged the established ways of the NIH since the beginning - with success in changing the peer review process. They have challenged the secretive and non-collaborative nature of scientific inquiry by insisting on transparency and data sharing - and by bringing scientists from different disciplines together in the same room frequently and regularly and forcing them to talk to each other. Many of the wealthy entrepreneurs with PD end up investing in MJFF - look at Andy Grove (Intel), and the Brin Family (Google).

And MJF himself has appeared before Congress multiple times - and very publicly taken on the likes of Rush Limbaugh on our behalf and forced him to see the truth.

We need to do a better job educating the health care professionals who treat patients on the reality of the disease and the best way to mix a successful medicine and lifestyle cocktail. MJFF doesn't do that - yet. I am holding out hope, yet know they can't do everything. In the meantime, patients are on our own figuring out how to get by. Last week my neuro told me it was not wrong for me to under-medicate in order to avoid dyskinesia - after I told him that is what I'm doing - but he, nor any other neuro would ever have recommended that to me up front.

Paula - can't agree with you more about that dance research stuff ....

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony

Last edited by indigogo; 04-14-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: grammar/spelling
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (04-14-2012)