View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 07:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Concernedmom,

I'm glad to be of help to you and your daughter. You might want to look into putting your daughter on the "ketogenic diet" this works great for kids. The diet is similar to the Atkins diet but it's much more strict. Your daughter would have to eat foods high in fat and cut back on the carbs, and starch foods. This will help build up keytones in her body and the keytones reduce/stop sz. for many people. You would have to take your daughter to see a Dietician and get her started on the diet. She won't gain any weight she will probably lose some and she will use the fat for energy and burn it off instead of using carbs for energy. If you are interested you can buy the book titled "The Epilepsy Diet Treatment" By Dr. John Freeman at Hopkins University. The Diet has been out since 1927 and I have a cousin who had grand mal sz. during World War II and he flew airplanes. He didn't have a single sz. while he was on the diet and he never had any problems flying.
Another thing you should do is get a calender and write down what time your daughter has any sz. along with a discription of the sz. take note if there's a low pressure in the weather, your daughter is sick, or she's stressed out or very tired. These are all things that can trigger sz. for people. When you keep track of your daughters sz. the Dr. may see a pattern in her sz. and see if she has sz. at certain days of the month or certain times of the day/night. My Dr. saw a pattern with my sz. I always seem to have them the week of the 14th and I have more sz. in the fall and winter compared to the spring and summer and that's do to less light in the fall and winter. Sometimes a person can be photosensitive or cell phone sensitive. This means that certain colors can trigger sz. and cell phones can trigger sz. I have these problems so I have to stay away from bright flashing lights and I can't be around people using cell phones or it will tigger a sz. for me.
To find the right sz. med have your daughters Dr. do a DNA test on her by doing this they will be able to find the right sz. med for her with the least side effects.
I wish you and your daughter only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote