View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 04:33 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Klaus,

I am glad to see you found my favorite concussion researcher. Dr Dorothy Gronwall and her colleagues did fabulous research back in the 1970's. NT has a participant from the past (Lucy) who was treated by Dr Gronwall even though Dr Gronwall was retired. Dr Gronwall passed away from a brain aneurism in 2004 (If I recall correctly). She was a great lady.
You told me about her a while back, for which I thank you

Since then I've read a few books she authored and co-authored in the 80s and 90s - they seem way ahead of anything more recent I have read. She explains symptoms and other problems as clearly as if she has suffered from them herself, but she's also done the studies to back up what she says scientifically. Brilliant.

The only sad thing is that some of her incredibly useful research and insights seem to have been forgotten about or ignored by clinicians, at least the ones I've met or heard about.

For example I know from my own experience that previous concussions will have certain hard to measure continuing effects, even after a supposed full recovery. She did studies that actually demonstrated this, but whenever I suggest it to a clinician they look at me like I've just started talking about aliens or something. Why was research like this never followed up?

Anyway, I agree, great lady.

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (04-15-2012)