Thread: out to pasture
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 04:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks, 4-eyes. It's very tricky, because my symptoms are so variable. I've been avoiding a wheelchair because it's important for me to walk when I can walk, to avoid deconditioning. Often I walk completely normally. But if I'm going to, say, a department store, the rollator is perfect because it lets me sit and rest so that I don't wear myself out. People who see me walking with the rollator must wonder why I have it at all, because I often walk completely normally with it.

I suppose the solution is a convertible--it changes from a rollator to a wheelchair. But I really don't see the difference between that and what we've rigged up. Do you think it has to do with balance--where the center of the weight is? Here's an example: http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/vi...roduct_id=2869

We do only use it for short distances, like to get me to the car when I've suddenly gotten weak.

I am sort of waiting out this Imuran trial. At my next visit, I'll be able to say, OK, we gave the Imuran a chance to work, and it didn't. What's next?

Thanks for writing, and for caring, and for being here!

Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-eyes View Post
Abby,

If you need to be pushed in the rollator, then you need a wheelchair. A rollator is absolutely not designed to be used as a transport device, except in an emergency. The fact that you are making plans to use it as such, and even modifying it, is proof of that. What you are doing is unsafe.

I would suggest looking into a lightweight travel chair, just to keep in the car. Use that for going into restaurants and such and save the walker for use within the house.

In your case, I think you are a long way from being "overtreated." Having a talk with your neuro would probably be a good idea. Ask him/her what he/she would be comfortable prescribing for you and then research and go from there.

Good luck!
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote