View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 04:22 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Should I go to the doctor?

In September-October 2010 I was playing flag football for my school. Since it's meant to be a non-contact sport, the only safety equipment we had were mouth guards. I hit my head at least three times (other players' heads/elbows/shoulders/my own cleat once, I think) and although I had a headaches, I always continued to play. I was never completely sure if I had concussions, but my teammates said I probably did. My coaches, parents, and I were not very educated about concussions so as long as I said I was fine, I played. Most of the time my headaches were tolerable, so I did not see the need to get checked or anything. After the season was over, I still continued to get headaches pretty much everyday for multiple months. However, they were still tolerable so I still didn't see a doctor (yes, I know that probably sounds stupid).
During that time, I felt that I was more distracted than usual, but I couldn't tell if that was from a head injury or just because "senioritis."

It's been about a year and a half since my possible concussion(s) and I still do get headaches every once in awhile, I feel that my memory is kind of deteriorating, and I often lack concentration, but I'm still unsure whether those are concussion symptoms or if that's just how I naturally am now. If they are symptoms then they are very mild right now.

I'm not sure what I should do now since it's been so long.. Should I finally go to the doctor and get my brain checked out? Will going to the doctor even make a difference? Is there anything they can do if they do find a problem? I'm obviously clueless on what to do or what's going on, so any help or advice is appreciated. I'd prefer to not go to the doctor because of the costs, especially since I'm not very bothered, but if I am advised to then I will if it may prevent future problems. Also, I can't remember some details of what happened, but if you have questions then I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks,
jsum4
jsum4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote