View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Mom View Post
I was wondering what a 'normal' reaction to the test would be and what a 'diabetic' reaction to the test would be after drinking the glucose water. Do the effects of the glucose linger for hours or do they go away quickly? Any insight?
I read mrsD's link with curiosity and some surprise.
Quote:
It is not my advice to try this at home. Because of the severe symptoms that may occur during the test (100 g of glucose is a hell of a load) a GTT is normally carried out in hospital. With the help of a glucometer it may also be carried out in any other clinic, though (handheld finger prick) glucometers are not as accurate as laboratory tests on whole blood samples. In case of fast bG level change, psychotic or neurotic behaviour might be present during the test. Especially patients who take cortico-steroids, the birth control pill, diuretics, salicates (Asperin) or fenytoine (anti-epilepticum) are strongly discouraged to try this at home.

INSTRUCTIONS
Some instructions on how a normal GTT (used in diagnosing diabetes) is carried out. At least three days before the test a diet rich in carbohydrates has to be followed (230-300 grams per day). During the test, no eating or smoking is permitted. The diabetes test lasts for 3 hours.
http://hypoglykemie.nl/gtt.htm
My test was done at an outpatient blood-draw lab. It was never mentioned to me that a carbohydrate-rich diet should have been partaken 3 days before the test. I've been on a low carbohydrate diet (maybe 50-100 mg) since well before my test. I know I made the neurologist aware of that, and the technician administering the test (because she had asked me for a copy of the diet, which I gave her when I went for the test) but it wouldn't surprise me if neither doctor nor tech. were aware of this instruction. They were also aware I was taking a diuretic (40 mg. furosemide) and aspirin (1/day).

I will say that I was expecting a bit of a sugar rush of some kind, particularly having the test done on an empty stomach after fasting, but I experienced nothing at all in that respect. I felt normal (albeit hungry) the whole time.

I was also told I could leave, drive home and come back later for the subsequent draws.

If I'd known some of this before the test, I think I might have had some discussion with the neurologist...

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote