View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Dear Michelle,
Sometimes an "irritation" such as the dental work, or even a bump to a finger or a bit of dust in the eye or even a cold in the nose can cause an exacerbation of tics in those particular areas, if one has a tic disorder.

I can understand your feeling overwhelmed and saddened that your son may perhaps have a chronic tic disorder. Just remember not to show your son that you're feeling overwhelmed and sad as difficult as that may be.

He'll be OK! It's important to remember that and to not visibly focus too much on any tics he has or may develop.

My son with TS/tics but also on Autism spectrum (now adult) had experienced a lot of problems with his teeth, mostly grinding in his sleep when young. My daughter with mild tics hasn't ever experienced problems with her teeth in this regard. A number of my adult friends I have made over the years in the TS worldwide community have experienced problems with their jaws/teeth from clenching. Anxiety/OCD related for them.

I don't know what other tics your little son has, but sometimes tics in the neck area can cause pain or headaches. My daughter used to often twist her ankle for example, which would then trigger tics in her foot.

Does your son have any vocal tics?
Simple vocal tics include things like throat clearing, coughing, humming, laughing, sniffing and others.

There are a number of tic disorders.

Has your son been seen by a Neurologist for evaluation at all?

Tourette's Syndrome or Chronic Tic Disorder are the type of conditions that are typically diagnosed by ruling out other medical conditions and listening to history, so it may be helpful to keep a private log of what's been going on for your son.

What you actually describe after the dental visit sounds more to me as if it's an irritation which has triggered a tic in that area. I only suggest that because you say he's had another tic for over 2 years.

Please also visit our TS Forum here as well. Tourette Syndrome Forum

Remember you're not alone. Lots of us been in your situation and have lots of support to give you if needed. Most importantly though is to make sure your son isn't scared somehow by what's going on with his tics. He needs to know that he will be OK. All the best to you Michelle.

Last edited by Lara; 04-17-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote