View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 03:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was sustained a concussion in July 2010 in an auto accident. I'm still healing. My own Primary Care Physician wasn't able to tell me what the outcome of the injury would be until recently - she told me she is confident that I will be "normal" again, but that it takes a long time to recover from a brain injury. A concussion is a brain injury.

I agree that you should alert your health care professionals. What happens if you have another concussion and they don't already know your history? They will be better prepared to help you with the more information they have.

I agree with Mark too, though, that some doctors are not prepared to help beyond prescribing some medications to alleviate the symptoms you are dealing with.

Just know, that even if it takes years, the potential and possibility still exists that you can make a full recovery from the concussions you may have sustained in the games you played.

And since you've already had some symptoms that you consider to be the result of some possible concussions, it might be very wise for you to avoid any actions that may lead to another concussion - like touch football.

Concussions are supposed to have a cumulative effect on people. So, even though they are microscopic and don't show up on an MRI or CT Scan, the more you have the worse the symptoms and its effects can be and the more long term. But some people are permanently affected by just one bad concussion.

It's not an exact science and research is still being conducted to help people recover and to predict the outcome of each concussion, but it's not near being ready to give any real information yet. And more than a few Dr.'s are not educated enough to really help people through the experience yet either.

But as Mark In Idaho offered, there are people here who can offer their experience in an effort to help you through yours.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote