View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 05:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurto View Post
Seriously though, my surgeon here in our National Capital is the professor of vascular surgery at both local Universities, I know I am in good hands. He has a dry sense of humour, which we share, and he likes to operate, as he tells me regularly, and I think he really does because when he was describing the size of my tumour to me, and how it took two hours to dissect it from around everything, he had a glint in his eye and a twisted little smile. I was really pleased that he enjoyed it!!

nospam, the TOS symptoms presented on both sides, about 70% on the right side and 30% on the left. This confused the doctors as it wasn't 'traditional' but we found out what it was during surgery. The nerve issues have gone away thank goodness, but the scar tissue has caused a second occurance around the subclavian vein and other nearby blood vessels.

I am a little concerned because of the equal discolouration and pain in both of my arms, this time it is equal. I have an expectaition that both ribs will be assessed for removal, I'll find out on the tenth of this month.

While everyone has discussed their surgeons, what do people think about the quality of care from their nursing staff? My first surgery was a five day stay in hospital and the standard of care varied each day. I even had a nurse try to remove my drain from my neck without cutting the stitches that were holding it in place!!
Is your surgeon for the rib resection the same that removed the Lipoma? He sounds great!

My cervical fusion surgery last year was at a small community hospital near me and the nursing staff was great. My only issue was that there was no cable TV or internet so I was in a rush to be discharged and go home. In hindsight, I should have stayed the extra night that had originally been allocated.

My surgery in two days will be at St. Joseph's Mission Hospital in Mission Veijo. This is a very high end facility with cable TV and internet. St. Joseph's runs fairly efficient facilities. My wife will be spending the night with me (she's an MD), so I'm sure she won't allow any foolishness from the nursing staff. I don't think I have anything to worry about and the nursing staff will be great. My doctor believes I will only need to spend one night and go home the next day.

ACDF C5-C6-C7 2/28/11

nospam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (04-17-2012)