Thread: New and scared
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New and scared

Hi everyone,

I'm usually over on the TOS forum but after my operation I got a complication that would (I think) put me into the PN forum as well.

I had a first rib resection for TOS on my left side in November. I developed TOS as a competitive swimmer (repetitive-strain; I arguably did between 5-10 million strokes/repetitions on that arm over the course of my career..explains the TOS) but anyways, ever since the op I've had severe muscle wasting in my infra and supraspinatus muscles. EMG confirmed severe supraspinatus (brachial plexus) nerve damage and total denervation. My doctors don't know if it's a stretched nerve or an autoimmune response.

Either way, it's been 5 months and there's been no improvement. None. I can't externally rotate my arm lying on my side against only gravity, much less with a weight (I have to use a stick to get to end range..)

I'm just wondering...will the nerve grow back ever? How long does it usually take? I read somewhere that atrophied denervated muscle can be permanently non-functional if there's no nerve impulses after 6 months - is this true?

Thanks to everyone/anyone who knows the answer..my doctors sure don't
agabor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote