View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Emphathize

Dear ol cs,

I also went through what you are experiencing. It became worse and worse until my vists to the neurologist were useless as my dyskenisias eventually became so bad I could only lay on the floor at my home and kick and flail my arms for hours on end. Eventually you become so oversensitized to your meds, that your body doesn't know if you are on or off. I was taken to the hospital after hurting myself from kicking a chair and was rushed to ICU. I was put into a coma induced state and put on, what in the old days, known as "a drug holiday." The constant movement was causing me to have kidney failure as they could not keep up puryifying the blood of the protein being broken down by the constant movement.

Drug Holidays are almost never down these days as it is a very dangerous procedure. It took them 3 tries to bring me out of the drug induced coma.
See a new neurologist who may be more open to trying a different drug regiman. Substitute muscle relaxants such as valium or Klonipin rather than increasing the intake of carpadopa/levodopa. Have a blood test done to ensure your kidneys are still functioning correctly and be sure to drink alot of water.

Taking fish oil is a wonderful idea, but if you have high cholesteral, and are taking lipitor or zotor, your doctor might recommend against it. Mine did. Also if you are prediabetic it isn't the best plan.

If your current neurologist is unwilling or unavailable when you are going through a crisis, it is time to find a new neurologist or see your GP who will take your problem more seriously. Neurology is still an elementary, evolving science and some of the neurologists who have been practising for years will not change their approach dispite the new research that has uncovered so much more information regarding improved treatments that cause less harm to the patient. Sorry for the runon sentences. Bad writing habit.

Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote