View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=Alliebaby75;869181]I recently applied for disability dueto my bipolar disorder which prevents me from holding down a job. I am completely clueless to the whole process other than from what I read it takes a really long time.
My application was accepted on feb. 1. I had my phone interview about 2 weeks ago. Now what? I asked the very nice lady that did my phone interview but I didn't get an answer.[/QUOTE

One suggestion would be to go to their web site for general information. If you can hire a social security disability attorney to represent you, it may be helpful if you get denied this first time. There are attorneys based on income in some states.

Everyone I have known that has been awarded SSDI has a different story. I was denied by letters three times but I kept asking for it. I was fortunate to have an attorney represent me who was from Legal Aid and did not take any percentage. Some attorneys do.

One thing that is very important is to have your history of doctors you have seen, medications you have taken, history of unemployment due to illness. It is important that is complete and all of this well documented.

Some states have social workers that can help you with the process.

You may or may not get a letter of denial, but you have the choice to continue to ask for a hearing.

The time can be different for each person. Some people get SSDI awarded rather quickly. For me it took 3 years. Others less than a year.

Social Security has booklets about SSDI and SSI.

It does take time to read and learn what it is all about. It can be complicated.
Psych.04 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote