View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 10:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks for the quick responses.

I just told him what both of you said and he said as far the the mestinon goes, that's the drug he does take, but it has a different name. He was taking 60mg/day and then was able to go down to 30mg/day. When he started having issues with his eyes and muscles, he increased his dose up to 90mg/day. (His neurologist gave him the green light a few months ago to adjust his medicine depending on how he felt). When he saw the neurologist today, he put him back on the 60mg/day (mestinon) along with the prescription of Prednisone.

I just think it's very strange that a doctor would allow a patient to adjust their own medicine and to also throw a patient on 40mg/day of Prednisone. Have any of your doctor's allowed you to adjust you mestinon medicine? I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

Thank you for the advice about monitoring him. I just told him that my husband and I would be monitoring him and he wasn't allowed to drive for a while until we know how the Prednisone is going to effect him. I did tell him the side effect I had from it (for my Lupus) at 20mg/day, so he knows a little of what to expect. I have the paperwork from the pharmacist with the side effects, so if any of the "uncommon" ones occur we will be going to the Dr. right away.

One of his vocal cords was paralyzed, which caused him to have that whisper/raspy voice. That surgery was over 6 months ago, that's why we're trying to see a voice Dr. at UCLA.

He is also allergic to shell fish and is lactose intolerant ... that's my worry with the supplements he takes. As far as supplements are concerned, are there any an MG patient should be taking and/or should avoid?

Thanks again for your responses!
Krysse is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote