View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
That's interesting, I hadn't considered it being psychological, it feels far too real. I think it's not psychological because

(a) I didn't expect it to happen after my concussion, so why would I imagine it

(b) it seems to be improving with my other symptoms, though admittedly at a slower pace

(c) when I did get a big jolt last June, it caused a massive relapse, even though the person who jolted me didn't touch my head and the jolt was not bad enough to cause concern amongst the people who saw it. SO in effect I have 'tested' it and found that jolts do in fact cause me more damage than they should.

(d) it seems to be a fairly common experience and I doubt we would all share the same delusion
Yes, I totally understand! I experience it too! And mine was worse than it is now too.

Remember, I'm not an expert or a Dr. at all.

But I don't think it wise to completely rule out it being psychological. Who wouldn't feel a little more sensitive about their heads being jostled after sustaining major trauma? I think of it like you don't want someone to touch your bruise...

And some experts believe that some issues with PCS are psychological... so even though your symptoms got worse after a serious jolt, that could have been psychological too.

I too think it could be detrimental. It could certainly be that a jolt can cause a subconcussive impact and physically make a person worse biologically.

I just threw it out there because that's what I think of it - I can't really tell what's what.

I think that patients with PCS are not well researched yet in some ways, so maybe researchers haven't included it in the list of symptoms. Or perhaps, most patients are usually more concerned with other symptoms and they don't even mention this one as a symptom at all because they only have 15 minutes to talk with their Dr.s and they have to make that time count.

And really, I think that people recovering from a brain injury and PCS really have a heightened sensitivity to all stimulation - so it could just be that too!

Who knows?!?! I'm also hopeful to find some documentation about it.

At the very least, for myself, I'm just glad to know that some of you guys also experience this, because I have and still do too.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kwaddington (05-25-2012)