View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Heart Blessed you are, Ginnie

You are Blessed, for you have God,
You are Blessed, for you have questions of great concern formed in your mind and can and will write them down to take to the hospital for surgery, the most important "can you please explain to me exactly so I understand the procedure YOU are going to perform on me today?"
You are Blessed, for YOU ARE IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT AS THE PATIENT-
1. No hospital in the land will allow a patient to proceed through surgery without signing a form, which, among other things, lets the hospital feel comfortable the patient understands what is going on. You do not, so, let them know when you are able to "give informed consent" you will sign their paperwork which is presented to you in the surgical prep suite.
2. No anesthesiologist in the land, the next person you will see that morning in the surgical prep suite, will allow you to proceed unless you sign off giving informed consent to the procedure and the anesthetic which will be used on you that day. Let them know you do not understand what is going on that day in the surgery, and then ask questions you have of the anesthesiologist what type of anesthetic is planned to be used. What will the side effects, if any, of the anesthesia be so you are prepared. Thank them for asking for your consent but remind them again you really do not understand what the surgeon is going to do. HUGE alarm bells will go off.
3. The next important person you will see, and perhaps in a huff, will be your own surgeon, who will have come clipboard in hand asking for your signature on an informed consent to the surgery. The surgeon may be irritable because you have let it be known you have not received a good explanation what is to occur. That is OK, because under ethics and the very protections the lawyer who represents the doctor has already advised them, they D A M [oh, perish the thought, I left of the N] well BETTER EXPLAIN TO EVERY PATIENT WHAT IS HAPPENING SO THE PATIENT CAN SIGN OFF TO A MEANINGFUL INFORMED CONSENT ABOUT THE PROCEDURE you are to receive that day. I know, because I have written such forms before.

Now, you doctor will regain their composure and try their best to explain what should have been explained to you adequately in your previous pre-surgery appointment. It is too late to schedule another appointment to get the information, so, the conversation may be pretty quick, as operating room time is tightly scheduled in all hospitals and surgery centers, Listen closely. Ask questions if you have them. Be conscientious of the doctor's time and your need to know.

Hopefully, you will have then gained enough information to sign the form, receive the care, and move on to healing and a hoped for and prayed for good result.

You are Blessed among us,
Print this page if you want, and take it with you. Hand it to yor surgeon so you can direct the surgeon to number three above to ask your question in a way you feel more comfortable if you wish, because YOU are your only advocate when you are dealing with your surgeon. This merely helps you prepare to ask your quesiton "what are you doing to me today?"
Then rest in repose, being informed, knowing we will pray for you, for your surgeon and surgical team, for the NURSES [ this is a tribute to Pooh AC, a veteran operating room nurse] for the nurses are unsung heroes of the day when care is given, and for your caregiver- who will drive you to the hospital and home again,
God go before you,
God be with you in the surgery,
God bring you safely home,
Praying for all,
Mark56

Last edited by Mark56; 04-21-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: a typo or two
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (04-21-2012), fionab (04-22-2012), Rrae (04-21-2012)