View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi ElizaJane,

When a tooth is extracted, the bone loss is about 50% which means that the level and thickness of bone becomes limited. Generally dental implants need to be placed within 1-2 years of the extractions, sometimes a bit longer, depends on the person's age, location of the missing teeth and other individual factors. In some cases, bone grafting can be done to replace some of the missing bone, but that too depends on the individual.

Sometimes a dentist can tell clinically just by looking at the bony ridge whether or not there is adequate bone, other times routine dental x-rays can help make that determination. If there is any doubt or the case is going to be extensive or complicated, the sure way to determine the level and thickness of bone is to have a dental CT scan done.

To be totally honest with you.... given your dental history and medical compromises, you would be a high risk and difficult implant case. Dry mouth syndrome makes any oral healing complicated. I want you to be very aware of that if and when you consult a dentist about doing dental implants. Ok? :/

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaJane23 View Post
I've read a lot of the posts here and am learning a lot! I only have the front section of my teeth left, both upper and lower, and these are decaying rapidly at the gumline. My mouth is incredibly dry, due to meds that are unlikely to change. Could the titanium posts that are implanted into the jawbone be done in the areas where I haven't had teeth for the past 13/14 years? My main reason for being scared of dentures is that, because of the dry mouth, will I even be able to wear them? I have a lot of allergies and know I can't use products like Fixodent, etc. Would these titanium implants, placed in the 4 areas (2upper and 2 lower) where I don't have molars, be ok to "snap on" (for lack of a better word) to hold dentures in place? I hope I have found a solution to be able to KNOW that I can wear dentures(!). A few of my teeth may need to be extracted in the next couple of month's, and the rest, with how quickly the cavities are progressing, may have 1-2 years at best. Is this long enough to get the implants firmly rooted in place? And what price range are 4 of these titanium implanted posts? Oh how I hope this would work! Thanks in advance for your comments - ElizaJane
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote