Old 04-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Arrow

Dear Bizi,

Here are the supplements I take, how much, and why:
  • Vitamin D - 1500 units daily for now... in the process of testing / titrating. Testing cannot be done often here, so it will be a while probably before I can reach target levels. I am uncomfortable titrating more steeply when i cannot test frequently.
    REASON: Clinical deficiency
  • a balanced B complex containing
    • 10 B-group vitamins, at ~100% RDA each except
    • only 40% RDA of B12 which accumulates in the system anyway and I eat meat.
    • 300% RDA of Biotin - dunno why but the amount is within tolerbility so... whatever.
    REASON: Clinical folate deficiency (tested) and denatured food sources. Depakote interferes with folate absorption. Also, due to how my parents (overcook their foods - often boiling them in water), I am almost certainly not getting the full nutritional benefits from foods that normally provide these vitamins.
  • Selenium + Zinc supplement - with complementary nutrients:
    • Se 75mg
    • Zn 15 mg
    • Vit C 60mg
    • Vit E 30mg
    • Betacarotene 5mg
    REASON: Depakote depletions - VPA is known to to deplete Selenium and vitamin E. It can also cause hairloss - supplementation with Selenium and Zinc prevent that.
  • Magnesium citrate - occasionally.
    REASON: any persistent sx that suggest I could use it (tics etc.) in addition to the other stuff.

I should probably also take Carnitine (d/t Depakote depletion) but I am uncomfortable with the idea and, since i am no longer on a really high dose of Depakote I will probably continue not to.

~ waves ~
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (04-22-2012), Lara (04-22-2012), mymorgy (04-22-2012)