View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 06:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

HeadStrong,

I can identify with your post. Do check about your meds, but don't be discouraged if it's just all part of the concussed "experience".

I found that I had to quit trying to be "normal". It was too stressful. After MUCH frustration, I began to focus on very small successes.

For example, I might ride along with a friend to the store, and wait quietly (often resting with closed eyes!) in the car while they went inside. Sometimes I would sit in my house and simply open the door so that fresh air could breeze in. I would visit a close friend's house when the rest of their family was away.

These things were improvements for me, and once I began to recognize them as such, I began to find more tiny ways to enlarge my boundaries.

You can use the same idea with the emotional issues. Ask those who are close to you and understand your situation to help you as you begin to branch out in tiny ways. They can help you recognize your limits and provide a graceful way of escape if your emotions get to be too much.

I found that it was easiest to branch out socially via the printed word (like texting) first. I could work through emotional responses in privacy.

Celebrate small successes. Grow in tiny ways.

I feel as if I've had to relearn social skills and emotional control - much like a small child must learn these things.

It's gotten better, but (for me) the first step was letting go of my expectations of normalcy and being willing to take microsteps.

I know this is all personal experience, but just maybe some part will be helpful. Hope this rambling makes sense!

Partial list of symptoms: (Physical - noise/light sensitivities, balance problems, headaches, sleeplessness) (Mental - brain fog, severe lack of awareness, difficulty expressing ideas - or thinking in the first place!, struggle with simple problems) (Emotional - anger, depression, inability to handle/control emotions) (Social - generally inept - thanks to everyone for allowing me to "practice" some social and communication skills on this forum)

"The person in the mirror wasn't me and I didn't like her either.
But, I looked beyond the mirror and slowly became the person I am." ~ Sandee Rager
katie71083 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (04-23-2012), Mark in Idaho (04-22-2012)