Thread: good book
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 06:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I recall that the book by Dr. Papolos, my version is/was very old, was like a Bible to me. I think if you have a bipolar child/teen...this book is an absolute must have.

I really should be stopping by here more often.

I have an adopted bipolar child, age 19. I have YET to fully understand her disorder. I still am not totally coping well with her ups and downs or the embarassment.

Her illness is somewhat controlled by medication and therapy. In addition, her age has helped significantly. She is bright and has a good heart. But she can't hold down a job or go to college. We do hope she might be able to work part time. There are lots of problems....and the stress has been ongoing.

My support system hasn't been ideal. "Outsiders" do NOT NOT NOT want to hear it. They don't understand it, get confused by it and are either frightened or bored by it.

I have thought of going to Parent's Anonymous, one of our more active support groups here for parents with difficult kids, but most of them have kids who are abusing drugs. That is not our issue. So, I'm not sure I have a really good place to go to for support.

Anyway, I should be able to provide some support for others and hope that I can likewise receive some here. I have found this road a difficult/hearbreaking one.